August 6, 2007

Useless Knowledge #1 (one of my favorites)

*I changed this post to Useless Knowledge #1, as it's not really random but more useless.*

Quote: "If my aunt were configured differently she'd be my uncle."

Opportunity for use: Generally in response to a comment like, "If it worked that way it would be better." Works better if the person making the comment doesn't understand what they are talking about, or they are making an excuse for doing it wrong the first time. Highly applicable to the technology sector.

Meaning: If I made it to do something other than it was designed to do, it would be different than what I designed.

I was in a management meeting when this was used by our somewhat new CEO in response to someone telling him that if we setup a new system "this way" it would be better. I still think it's one of the best responses to "if this than better" comments.

No comments: